Today, legacy networks and storage trends are replacing with IAAS,PAAS,SDN and NFV concepts,business and industries enduring to increase their investment in cloud computing to virtualize their networks and storage as saving OPEX and CAPEX along with the increase in network efficiencies with utmost security is every one’s requirement.The point is we are now more comfortable with the concept of network and storage virtualization, just because of virtual memory simulation idea which now turns into the reality, VMs (Virtual Machine) that can have high-class owner-ship of the allocated memory to store data.
Getting started with a sophisticated virtualization solution to managing and securing network,starting with the windows 2012 Hyper-V would be a good choice. As a matter of fact, Hyper-V can easily manage replica, storage and live migration and implement extensible Switch with Security. It is a cost-effective platform for the next generation cloud-optimized infrastructures.
Generalizing the theory, the virtual memory simulation making the virtual networks , where the resources such as IP address and gateways can be dedicated to the virtual environment is basically the shared resources with our physical network , i.e. virtual machine shares a virtual network taking almost everything same as physical network , works as isolated network, just like Virtual LAN which are isolated from physical LAN .Hyper-V provides the ability to run multiple virtual network infrastructure using the same physical network topology. The physical network termed as Provider Address (PA), visible over the physical network, whereas the virtual isolated networks called the Customer Address (CA), similarly the IP address of virtual networks will only be visible within its own virtual machine’s network .
The pre requisit esto enable and configure Hyper-Vare:
- Assign Virtual network id to VMs
- Enable network Virtualization
- Assign Provider IPs
- Create Domain and Define Customer Routes
- Build Routing table
As it is the relationship between the physical and virtual network, the scenario is virtual network – virtual port – virtual switch. Furthermore, within that virtual switch, the packets are processed by using Microsoft network virtualization ( MS_NETWNV )technology.
MS_NETWNV as network driver to virtualization network, bounded with physical NICs on each 2012 Server. The Hyper-V virtual switch, requests on this network driver (ms_netwnv) to encapsulate and de-capsulate packets.
Steps for installing Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V host on a physical server:
- On Windows Server 2012 Server Manager Dashboard, go to Add Roles and Features.
- Select Hyper-V role. Install Windows Server Backup feature. On Create Network Switch page, select the NIC which is to be used by the guest VMs for network communication.
- Specify NIC for use with live migration even when the host is not part of Windows Failover cluster or when there is no shared storage.
- Choose the locations for VHDs and VM configuration files, proceed to complete roles and features installation.
- Restart host server to load the virtualization drivers. The health state of the Hyper-V role will change to critical in Server Manager
- After rebooting the server, run in-line Hyper-V role Best Practices Analyzer in Server Manager to validate Hyper-V configuration.
- Start the Hyper-V GUI from the Start Screen.